Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dear Those Trying to Prove the Existence of God:

I'm afraid you've missed the point. So well and truly missed the point, that you've found yourself in a parallel dimension, where everything is perfectly circular.

Now I myself am an atheist, but I have many friends and family who are religious, with varying degrees of extremity. Despite my atheism, I very strongly acknowledge the power of faith.
Now for clarification, in this post (and in any other religion-oriented ones, and just in general in my everyday speech), when I refer to faith I refer to the belief in God(s) and it's/their ability to make our lives better; while by religion I am referring to a community or organisation of people who share the same or similar beliefs.

The power of faith is the power that you gain as a result of their belief in (a)n omnipotent being(s) and it's/their vested interested in your personal welfare. It's most strongly present in particularly hard times, when you feel completely at loss and incapable of dealing with the issue, so you look to a higher power for guidance. This creates hope, a tiny spark of light in a tunnel that was previously completely black. And small as it may be, you can see that light, and so you know it can be obtained.

Faith begets hope, begets strength.

Whether or not this is in fact an interference from a higher power, or simply the accessing of a hidden well of strength within you, is unimportant, but the unimportance of the source is important. Confused yet? I'll explain.

Faith is illogical by it's very nature. Faith is defined as a belief in something despite a lack of empirical evidence to support this belief. If a friend who's opinion of film I have faith in tells me that something is good, I will believe them, and go see it. Until I've seen it myself I don't know whether or not I like it, but I have faith in their opinion.
You have faith in God, for whichever reason, even without evidence of his/her/their existence.

This is different to believing something that you know, through experience, is true. I know that if I buy a pair of Nike's, I need to buy size 11.5s. I know this because I have tried on and subsequently bought that size, so I have evidence to support this belief. Therefore, it isn't faith.

This illogicality is precisely what gives a faith in God it's potentially life changing power.

God is an abstract concept: we don't know what it looks like, what it's purpose is, how or when it was created, we don't even know if it exists. We know nothing about God. All we have to go on are faith and scripture. The scriptures, though generally claimed to be "the word of God", are written by men who we've never met, and so for all we know they could be as real as the idea that there isn't actually such a thing as "space" and what we see when we look at the sky are just a bunch of very large TV screens. To believe in the scriptures is to have faith in them.
Thus, any concept an individual has of God is a projection of their faith.

This abstractness means that you can (and will) create an image of God that suits your needs to get through whatever it is you need to deal with. If you've lost a loved one, you have faith that they've gone to a better place, and God is a loving looking after them. If you're scared of terrorists, you have faith that God is a righteous, vengeful god who will protect the good and smite the wicked.


Which brings us back to the point of this post: if you're trying to prove the existence of God, you've missed the point of believing in God.

What happens if someone actually does prove, with empirical evidence, that God exists, then God loses its abstractness.
God becomes something definably real; everyone knows exactly what it is and isn't capable of, and we lose the strength gleaned from faith in what "could" be real.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting angle. You also make it difficult to argue with you 'cause you can just hide behind the premise that you're just a deranged left-winger.. :) But here goes nothing right? And I'm sure you're always up for debate! And glad that someone's reading your blog :)

    Through your writing you show that you are 1. a great thinker and 2. that you are very clever and fairly methodical.
    I haven't heard many atheists tackle concepts like this and in the way you do, while slightly hinting at non-bias and an objective atheistic stance.

    While I may assume that you would claim to be an 'open book' waiting for the scientific proofs to shape your thinking there will always be the atheists closed-ness to theological debate and concepts, which is uncritical and bias in that nature. When it gets labelled under 'religious' it cannot enter the 'scientific atheist framework'.

    But then you may argue, "but I just said that I strongly acknowledge the power of faith".

    While that's true, it comes across that your scientific view is a given. Ironically, you seem to have quite a strong 'faith' in the science that remains incomplete, and gets updated/adapted/changed according to new discoveries and scientific 'breakthroughs'.

    All the information read that is in favour of your existing views, you'll believe or justify belief in it, yet religion/faith is immediately categorized as outside reality and truth. So the fact that you strongly believe in the power of faith is because you too practice it everyday. It's not merely as you say that christians find hope and as a result get strength from that.

    Your level of faith in science comes through a level of faith that you have in the concept of God. Because you can NEVER be 100% sure that there isn't a God, you require an amount of faith that in essence makes you feel better about your decision to reject that idea completely.

    With the sum of knowledge that I have come to in my years of being a christian, it is by no means complete or even nearly extensive and probably will never be. But already there are conclusions that you draw from your 'circular' thinking that are based on convenient but false premises.

    In essence I'm not really arguing specific points, but rather suggesting that you as an atheist and I as a christian are actually in similar predicaments regarding faith. A large thing perhaps is that christians ignore science so that their vision of God doesn't get tainted. For example, a christian from the past would burn 'witches' at the stake. Meanwhile 'discovery' reveals otherwise and in fact those christians were wrong in their actions even from a theological standpoint. But don't atheists reject theism so that their vision of reality doesn't get tainted? Both have a degree of faith in something that has no complete affirmation and I guess both can be ignorant....

    "Dear those trying to prove that faith can be defined as a religious excuse for human self-motivation: you're missing the point completely."

    Just because there are big words used and because it is an alternate view doesn't mean it is correct. Most likely means that you are clever though but there is a culture today that hints that counter-hegemonic thinking is actually in its material value 'clever', and when its supported by massive concepts that get thrown around like its everyday words that most people assume they understand, it is then assumed to be correct because it cannot be argued otherwise.

    The argument remains an opinion I'm afraid. I'm sure you are getting upset now because you thought that your view on the world was original. I think we're rather getting an idea of the practice of cynicism. Both christians and atheists are guilty of this, just in different areas.

    TO BE CONTINUED...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christians claim to know more than they actually do and use the 'being saved by Jesus' or 'I read the bible' as an excuse for being right. Even Jesus stayed in the temples and studied the 'word of God' for years before he even started his ministry. And how much did Darwin engross himself in studies before developing theories? But its easy to say I am right about evolution because I read 'the origin of species'.

    My point is that, most likely, pride/cynicism/fear gets in the way of both you and me daring to entertain the possible truth that may lie in the middle. Having said this, there is the apologetics doctrine of christianity which uses in-depth research to substantiate both critical perspectives and arguments against christianity; as well as understanding of the scriptures. (Though apologetics doesn't actually eliminate faith because you still cannot SEE God).

    Unfortunately for you, you will never be able to say "AHA, here is God, he just came to my house for some tea and he was glowing and walking on the water in my pool and stuff so its like empirical evidence yo". According to scriptures, there IS sufficient evidence now around us for him to declare that it is enough for us not to have an excuse to say "oh but I didn't know". If we all were given the proof, we would be compelled to follow instead of having the free choice. Free choice allows us to return or show love to the creator. Faith is also an expression of love to a God that cannot be seen. (But free choice is another way intense subject for another essay!)

    Lastly, your analogies are loose, flawed and are not effectively linked, yet massive assumptions are made as a result which conveniently supports your views but remains completely unsubstantiated.

    But again I don't feel like I'm fighting a religious debate, which I assume would be completely ineffective, but rather the cynical mindset that prevents atheists from considering christianity and that prevents christians from developing out from ignorance and blind faith to a more 'mature' understanding of God and his creation.

    Apologies for using the exact same tactic that I claim is bad. But I know you not up for another christian saying that you're gonna burn for thinking that way. I guess the point at the end of the day IS to question the concreteness of what we believe and make sure we have a reason for the faith that we have.

    Well, that's my thoughts anyway :)

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good read.
    I guess I'm more of an agnostic, than an atheist.

    You bring a lot of good points to the table. I'm not really familiar with the way most religious people think about the subject.

    I'll post more later when my head stops hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! :)

    Cool.. :)

    ReplyDelete